Westfest is a party like no other! Each year more than 100,000 people attend Westfest during our outdoor, three-day celebration of Canadian art and culture. As a free multidisciplinary art festival dedicated to showcasing Canadian artists and their work in an accessible and inclusive setting, this year’s Westfest will take place at Laroche Park, filling this riverside green space with a variety of artistic disciplines, such as music, contemporary dance, visual art, media art, performance art, spoken word, poetry and fiction readings, Aboriginal art forms, children’s entertainment, buskers, street performers, and much more.
Each year we host an outdoor main stage and feature some of the best acts our country has to offer. Past headliners have included Buffy Saint-Marie, Sloan, Joel Plaskett, Jane Siberry, Cowboys Junkies, Kathleen Edwards, and more. Established in 2004, Westfest is a fusion of community and art, and places a special emphasis on diversity, children, and all families. Taking place annually, this year’s Westfest will be happening from June 3-5 and is proud to be Ottawa’s only festival of its size and scope that is free and open to all!
- To promote the development and work of Canadian established, mid-career, and emerging contemporary artists
- To foster a sense of community by providing an arts festival that is free and accessible to everyone, that encourages a diverse and inclusive audience and that provides a supportive, meaningful context in which to learn about artistic activity
- To increase project collaboration and liaise between artists, arts organizations, businesses, communities, and other festivals
- To foster collaboration between artists by scheduling activities that includes numerous artistic disciplines: music, fiction and poetry readings, spoken word, visual art, contemporary dance, theatre, Aboriginal art forms, performance art, media art, and many others
- To demonstrate leadership in issues related to multidisciplinary arts events and festivals in Canada
FRIDAY, JUNE 3
4:30pm – 5:20pm Westfest Tam Tam w/ Dr. Lee
5:30pm – 6:15pm SING SONG PARTY TIME w/ Derek Mckinley
6:45pm – 7:15pm Rock the Arts Puppet Show
7:30pm – 8:00pm Magic With an Edge by Rynestone
8:15pm – 8:45pm Giants of Junk
9:00pm – 9:15pm Prairie Fire – Metis Family Dance Troupe
9:30pm – 11:00pm Westfest Spoken Word – Curator Spoken Word Guru, John Akpata
10:00pm – 2:00am Westfest Queer Mafia Afterparty @ The Elmdale Oyster House