Mercury Lounge & Axé WorldFest present
w/ opening act TROPIKOMBO
Thursday, July 11th
Opener Tropikombo 8:30pm
Newen goes live at 9:30pm
Online tickets $15
more at the door.
Newen Afrobeat is an experience of musical awareness, where music is the weapon for change. Following Fela’s legacy, they connect Africa and Latinamerica with a high energetic show of music and dancing. Considered one of the most outstanding shows at Womex 2018, in those days, Newen Afrobeat has become the most listened afrobeat band in youtube and one of the most popular on spotify with millions of views and presence in more than 50 festivals around the world. They will be promoting their new album “Chaltumay” (may 2019) that talks about the fight that Mapuche culture has being doing defending their territory in Chile as well as songs about female role on society and global inequality.
Newen Afrobeat on youtube is the most listened afrobeat band in the world (over 5,2 millions views)
– Our first álbum is the most listened original afrobeat álbum on youtube (over 1,3 millions)
– First Chilean artist to perform in Nigeria (twice in Felabration Lagos)
– First Chilean band to be programed at MIJF
– 3 times at Lollapalooza
– Collaborations with Seun Kuti, Femi Kuti, Tony Allen, Oghene Kologbo, Sandra Izsadore, etc.
– Concerts with Snarky Puppy, Pat Thomas, Fatoumata Diawara,
This hard-hitter rhythm section’s raw and relentless percussive pulse and fiery horns stoke the coals for an in-your-face vocal in English, Spanish and Portuguese to ultimately bring you a 5-piece mash-up of the most obscure subgenre crossovers of Latin, Caribbean and African inspired dance music.